Auxiliary Fire Service badge, approximately 4 x 4cm. Twin lugs to the rear (split pin absent). Comes with a leaflet from the National Fire Service regarding the NFS benevolent fund. This comes in a wartime economy envelope addressed to 'Fireman Davies', dated April 1945. The AFS was formed in 1938 as part of the Civil Defence Service to supplement the work of brigades at local level. These were superseded in August 1941 by the National Fire Service. Stock code BO3401.